Shenington  with Alkerton Parish




This web site was originally developed to cover the two churches and some relevant  details are given at the foot of this homepage. Further information is contained in the section Our two churches.

 Details of church services are given in the section News.

The site has been extended to include information about village activities. The organisation of the Village Hall, together with a brief history is given in the section Village Hall.

Up to date news about village events is contained in the section News.

Some historical record of recent activities is now in a section Archive News and items of current interest shown in the section Village Notice Board.

There is a section Parish Council which carries current reports, minutes of past meetings and other relevant information

The section Parish Records holds details of baptisms, marriages and burials and is intended to help people wishing to trace their family trees.


Holy Trinity Church, Shenington

                                                          


Holy Trinity Church, Shenington is situated alongside the village green. It dates from the 12th and 13th Century and is listed Grade II* under the Town and Country Planning Act.

There is a Norman arch, set in the chancel over the organ pipes.It is finely ornamented with zigzag and cable mouldings.

Outside, carved in stone, on the south wall is most interesting figure of a man, dressed in a robe and in the south porch there is a very fine copy of the figure by the late Harold Clifton.

There is excellent stained glass in the chancel, particularly the east window.

The tower, dated 1504, houses five bells dated 1678 and a clock dated circa 1700.



St Michael and all Angels Church, Alkerton

                                                            


St Michaels Church, Alkerton is a beautiful building in a beautiful setting. It stands on a steep hillside hidden by the Old Rectory and by trees. It is noble yet homely, solid but not oppressive.

The church dates from 1200 with a late 14th century clerestory and chancel. The chancel was rebuilt in the early 17th century. It is listed Grade I under the Town and Country Planning Act.

Electricity was introduced in 1996 with heating and lighting in keeping with its character under the guidance of the churchwardens Henry Ewer and Margaret Bloomfield.

                                                                                                                                    Return to top of page
                                                                                                                                               







Community Web Kit provided free by BT