Shenington  with Alkerton Parish




IRONSTONE BENEFICE


                   

Alkerton and Shenington together with Balscote, Drayton, Hanwell, Horley, Hornton, and Wroxton, eight churches in seven parishes, form the Ironstone Benefice in North Oxfordshire.

The above photograph shows ministers and churchwardens of the benefice with the Bishop of Dorchester after a confirmation service at Holy Trinity Church in June 2000 


Normal Pattern of Services:

    Sunday in Month,     Shenington

    2nd                     6.00 pm Evensong
    3rd                    United Benefice Service
    4th                      6.00 pm Evensong
    5th                    United Benefice Service

Sunday in Month,         Alkerton

    1st                      9.00 am Holy Communion
    !st Wednesday   7.30pm Quiet Eucharist

The current month's services including the location of the United Benefice Service are shown on the porch notice board in Shenington Church and on the village news section of this web site. 

                         


 


                
                                                   

The drawings of the two churches were by the late Stanley White.

Stanley White was an illustrator of children's books whose work warranted an obituary in the Times. He retired to Shenington to live in a cottage by the green. and produced a series of pen and ink drawings of the two villages. These drawings have been used to provide a set of cards of village scenes.

The late well loved and respected Lord Blanch, former Archbishop of York, spent his final years at Shenington and took several services at Holy Trinity Church. He is buried in the churchyard alongside the grave of his eldest daughter Susan.

In the 18th century, Samuel Davenport, a young man who was destitute, passed through nearby villages begging for bread and was turned away from their doors. Coming to Shenington he was given food and shelter. He vowed that if ever he became rich he would remember the village. He duly acquired great wealth and become an alderman of the City of London. He left £220 to the churchwardens of Holy Trinity Church to form a charity for the benefit of the poor.
 
Thomas Lydiat was born in Alkerton in 1572, soon after his father, retiring from London, had bought the Manor of Alkerton. Thomas was sent to Winchester and New College, Oxford, as a scholar and became Chaplain at the Court of James I and tutor to Henry, Prince of Wales. In 1612, he became Rector of Alkerton, where he lived for the rest of his life, writing copiously and engaging in the manner of the times in fierce disputations with other scholars. He built the magnificent Rectory in front of St. Michaels Church in 1625. He died a poor man in 1646 but he had built a great reputation in his own day as a scholar. Many years later Dr. Johnson wrote:

See nations, slowly wise and meanly just
To buried merit raise a tardy bust.
If dreams yet flatter, once again attend,
Hear Lydiats life and Galileos end.

PARISH OF SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON

Rector: Rev.Dr John Reader Wroxton Rectory 730 344
Churchwarden at Shenington
Dr. C.J. Anson Random Ridge 670336
Sidesmen
Mr. F.J. Calderan    Mrs. M. Hancock    Mr. A.M. Kendell

PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
Chairman             Rev. Dr Reader
Vice-Chairman     Mr. A.M. Kendell
Secretary             Dr. C. J. Anson
Treasurer             Mrs. M. Hancock

Members
Mr. S.A. Bell    Mr. F.J. Calderan    Mrs. M. Handcock    Mr. D. Hawtin    Mrs. J.T. Koochitt
Mrs. D. Smith         Ex-officio    Miss S Reynolds,     

                                                                                                                                        Return to top






Community Web Kit provided free by BT